The ladies dish about the importance of hydration, how much water you really need and the issues with fluoride || Full show notes & spa water recipes at the theladiesdish.com/ldp36 | Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the Ladies Dish Podcast
IN THIS EPISODE:
• WE HAVE A FACEBOOK GROUP!! Want to bring together all the Dishers and keep it a community where you can ask questions, interact, and share recipes! You can find us at bit.ly/theladiesdish
• Kate’s program, The Mindfull Makeover, is going to be launching this coming September!! 28-day program of food, mind, and body transformations. If you want to be first on the list to be notified of when the group is actually opening, visit bit.ly/VIP-mm
• Joy and Kate are teaming up to run a 21DSD group in October while Dana rests up with baby girl!! We will start prepping the week before on Oct 3rd, but official start date will be Monday, October 10th. Mark your calendars now!! Links to sign up will be available as the date gets closer.
Review of the Week (4:26):
Imperfectly Whole Life: I LOVE this podcast! You feel like you are hanging out and chatting with your girlfriends! Dana, Kate & Joy are easy and fun to listen to, you learn so much and the time goes by too fast!!
Thanks Laura for the review – if you want to follow another fun nutrition nerd – check Laura out here!
Interview Game Question (4:56):
What’s your guilty pleasure tv show?
Here’s what we’ve got
Grace & Frankie
Find us on Instagram or FB and tell us what you watch!!
What’s Cookin’? (8:32):
Kate’s sharing a bunch of spa water combinations with us today – inspired by today’s topic! Click here to get the recipes and find your favorite for the summer season!
Today’s Topic: Hydration (9:35)
Water is the most abundant nutrient in the body - you can go for weeks without food, but only days without water. Water makes up about 60-70% of your body mass.
Interestingly enough, water is also the most common nutritional deficiency in American population!!!
Roles of Water
• Improves oxygen delivery to cells
• Transports nutrients
• Enables cellular hydration
• Moistens oxygen for easier breathing
• Cushions bones and joints
• Absorbs shocks to joints and organs
• Regulates body temperature
• Removes wastes
• Flushes toxins
• Prevents tissues from sticking
• Lubricates joints
• Improves cell-to-cell communication
• Maintains normal electrical properties of cells
• Empowers the body’s natural healing process
How much do you (really) need? (12:05)
½ body weight in water / 2 + oz of diuretics x 1.5 = daily minimum
EXAMPLE: Let’s say you weight 140 lbs and drink 10 oz of coffee in the morning:
140 / 2 = 70
10 x 1.5 = 15
70 + 15 = 85 oz
If you are a person that eats a lot of raw, unprocessed foods...you may actually be fine with less of this number. Also, remember: over-hydration is not good either!
Diuretics: coffee, juices, milk, sodas, tea, beer, prescription drugs. As far as drinks go, the more caffeinated = more dehydrating
Early signs of dehydration:
Mature signs of dehydration:
• Joint pain
• Back pain
Quality of Drinking Water (23:40)
Having pure drinking water is IMPORTANT to avoid some critical health issues. And it’s always sest to have your water tested and see what is in there! Check out Joy’s blog post about how she tested her water.
Some top rated filter options:
Shower filter: Rainshow’r
Bottle your own spring water using this site to find a source near you:
Salt & Electrolytes (26:22)
Electrolytes = minerals that become capable of conducting electricity when dissolved in water. 4 functions:
1. Control the osmosis of water between compartments, particularly the sodium-potassium pump
2. Helps maintain the pH balanced in body
3. Carry electrical currents
4. Serve as cofactors needed for optimal activity of enzymes
Add a pinch of sea salt to your water and/or coconut water for that sodium/potassium boost.
Or try tasteless electrolyte drops: Concentrace Minerals
Listener Question (30:48):
“Flouride as a neutotoxin? Thoughts? Should I steer clear??”
The short answer is yes – you want to avoid fluoride in your water and other products like toothpaste because it can build up in our bodies as a toxin.
Fluoride is a byproduct of the aluminum industry. We’ve heard a fair amount about the issues of aluminum in the body – you might remember us talking about the issue with antiperspirants with aluminum and how it interrupts hormones. Aluminum also displaces the trace elements and sodium, potassium levels which we’ve already learned are super important in our body!
The Environmental Working Group talks about how over 300 toxins have been
found in drinking water.
According to an article by Dr. Mercola:
"Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause
chemical brain drain… The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but
the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially
because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us."
Berkey sells a specific fluoride filter.
Clearly Filtered also filters fluoride!
Favorite Water Resource:
Check out this book: Your Body's Many Cries For Water - You’re Not Sick, You’re Thirsty by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj
Dr. Batmanghelidji is a doctor who cured many diseases including all kinds of pains like arthritis, colitis, neck, back...high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, body weight, asthma, allergies and more with water - pretty interesting for being a book about water!
Thank you for joining us this week for Episode 36. Remember to subscribe in iTunes so you don’t miss a future episode!
Like the show? Leave us a review! Follow the below link and then click the blue "View on iTunes" button - once you're logged into your iTunes account you can add a review. We greatly appreciate your time and feedback! SPECIAL UPDATE: YOU CAN NOW LEAVE A REVIEW FROM YOUR PHONE!! Open up the podcast app, search "The Ladies Dish", click on our icon and then tap the 'Reviews' tab.