The Ladies Dish Podcast #61: Thyroid Health Part III with Michelle Hoover of Unbound Wellness
Michelle Hoover of Unbound Wellness shares her health journey through an autoimmune Hashimoto’s diagnosis and gut healing is crucial to thyroid health. | Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the Ladies Dish IN THIS EPISODE
• By special request…Kate is coaching a February 21DSD starting Monday, February 6th! Sign-ups on her website: holistickate.com/21dsd. • Kate is also starting to organize a Core Desired Feelings Workshop for those ladies in the Pittsburgh area… keep an eye on social for an announcement. Tentatively for sometime in February or March!
Introducing Michelle! (3:00)
Michelle Hoover is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner living in Dallas, Tx. She was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s as a teenager and found herself turning to a real food Paleo/AIP template and lifestyle changes to help manage her new autoimmune disease. She works one on one with women and educates others on her blog how to nourish their bodies and love the food they’re eating. Michelle's business is called Unbound Wellness.
The “it” List (4:35)
This week, Michelle shares something she really loves: Turmeric! One of her favorite ways to eat it is in Golden Milk or turmeric latte.
LDP's Sponsor - The Nutritional Therapy Association The NTA is an amazing organization that certified all three LDP co-hosts as Nutritional Therapy Consultants. We all highly recommend the NTC course or NTP (Nutritional Therapy Practitioner) course to anyone interested in pursuing an education in holistic health and learning how real, whole foods help heal the body from the inside out. Visit www.nutritionaltherapy.com for more information and to download a registration packet!
Interview Questions (7:17)
1. Can you just fill in the gaps a bit for our listeners and tell us the story that led to your Hashimoto's diagnosis? (7:17)
2. Let’s take a moment and chat about just having an autoimmune disease and what that does to your mindset or how you notice lifestyle and autoimmune flare-ups. (13:45)
"Mindset and lifestyle are both huge. The word fear is huge for me… autoimmunity creates a lot of fear… but it’s a cycle that makes it worse. Stress can throw me off just as much as a slice of pizza. I really went through a rough time for a minute this summer when we were buying a house and I was graduating from the NTA and then started writing this book. Mental stress and poor lifestyle like lack of sleep can be just as bad, sometimes as poor gut health choices."
"Our adrenals are part of our entire hormone cascade, and when we wear them out it just wears down our body, thyroid, immune system, everything. So, it’s incredibly important. I recommend to my own clients to have dedicated time every single day/ or week completely to just destress and chill. I recently called it “Yoga and target” time."
3. We do have some listeners that have autoimmune conditions, mostly Hashimoto’s or Celiac Disease, so can you talk about how you handle this “autoimmune diagnosis” and how that affects your daily life? (18:30)
"My number one piece of advice with handling an autoimmune diagnosis or really any chronic illness beyond this diet/healing piece is to invest your time, heart, and soul in something bigger than yourself. Faith, purpose, and love for others has saved me from obsessing over my own situation!"
4. We have been talking a lot about the thyroid on the show lately, so can you share the connection between the thyroid/Hashimotos and gut health? (23:49)
"All disease begins in the gut, autoimmune included. Our intestinal lining is super thin and our immune system is in our gut. Our gut gets damaged from bad food, antibiotics, NSAID’s (HUGE for me), stress, the list goes on. Our intestines become permeable and food molecules leak into our bloodstream and molecular mimicry happens when the body now starts attacking food and mistaking organs and systems for the food."
5. You recently released a beautiful new ebook, which is super exciting! It’s called the “30 Day Gut Healing Diet Plan & Guide”. Clearly your story inspired a lot of this content based on the title, but tell us a more about this guide and who it is really designed to help. (30:18)
• 74 pages of all AIP (autoimmune paleo) meal plans with pictures of each day to make it easier to follow along • Shopping lists and prep guides to help you prep food fast. • AIP recipes with low FODMAP and GAPS modifications • Tons more info about healing the gut beyond food, why the food heals, etc!
6. For all our health coaches and other nutritional therapists out there, Michelle recently went full time with her business Unbound Wellness - congratulations! We want to know what your favorite part of owning your nutrition business is. (34:55)
Connect with Michelle
Thank you for joining us this week for Episode 61. Remember to subscribe in iTunes so you don’t miss a future episode!
Like the show? Leave us a review!
Follow the below link and then click the blue "View on iTunes" button - once you're logged into your iTunes account you can add a review. We greatly appreciate your time and feedback!