The Ladies Dish Podcast #63: Listener Qs on Pregnancy Macros, Bloating, Whole30 & Body Image
Joy and Kate tackle listener questions about macro plans during pregnancy, bloating, Whole30 and the dreaded scale! | Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the Ladies Dish IN THIS EPISODE
• Kate’s 21DSD filled up early, but she’s excited to coach this round! It’s almost an exact split of vets & newbies, so it will be fun! • Joy wanted to congrats her 21DSDers who just finished up yesterday! Keep an eye/ear out for future groups from your favorite Ladies Dish cohosts!
The “it” List (6:15) This week Kate shares something she’s really into: Beyond Yoga Sweatpants …. Be prepared to fall in love!
LDP's Sponsor - The Nutritional Therapy Association The NTA is an amazing organization that certified all three LDP co-hosts as Nutritional Therapy Consultants. We all highly recommend the NTC course or NTP (Nutritional Therapy Practitioner) course to anyone interested in pursuing an education in holistic health and learning how real, whole foods help heal the body from the inside out.
Visit www.nutritionaltherapy.com for more information and to download a registration packet!
1. “Do you have a good resource for how to figure out your macros while pregnant? I am not pregnant at this time, but am hoping to be in the near future. I currently use IIFYM.com and they do not have anything for pregnancy, nor have I found any good calculators on the internet for it.
I also recently got a new job where I am sitting the entire time on the computer, wonderful part is that this is how I met you ladies, since I am able to listen to podcasts while I work. Bad part is I always feel so bloated and terrible after I eat. How can I change this? What can I eat or drink while at work to avoid this? I already eat clean and I am currently doing whole 30 but that still has not seemed to work.
I am working on changing to a Paleo lifestyle slowly over-time once I finish whole 30. I am working to change my entire lifestyle to a whole clean life. My diet is essentially there, but the rest of my life needs to catch up. Do you have any advice?
Also side note for everyone, one thing I have found to work for me when it comes to working out and making sure I get a nice mix of high intensity and lower intensity workouts is that I use the Beach Body on Demand App and I incorporate about 6 different programs into my workouts every week. For example Monday doing T-25, Tuesday doing Yoga, Wednesday Insanity, Thursday Piyo, and going for walks on the weekends. I just thought this would be a nice tip to share with everyone since getting a nice mix of workouts that are good for your body have been a common theme in the podcasts so far. I feel like this mix keeps me entertained and also challenging myself in different ways.”
Our answers… 1. “Do you have a good resource for how to figure out your macros while pregnant? (12:10)
2. “Bad part is I always feel so bloated and terrible after I eat. How can I change this? What can I eat or drink while at work to avoid this?” (18:40)
a. I would go back and listen to our episodes about digestion (24 + 25) and work from the top down as far as making sure you’re relaxed while eating, chewing everything up really well, and working to support stomach acid - see if those things help with the bloating feeling.
b. Drinking ginger tea or even chewing on a piece of ginger can help stimulate stomach acid.
c. Apple cider vinegar/water shot before a meal
d. Reducing stress from the new job
e. Maybe you need to heal some of your gut lining or tackle something like candida or a parasite
f. Give it time when you are transitioning your diet! Sometimes it just takes a little bit for your body to sort itself out.
g. Working one-on-one with someone is always helpful when you can’t seem to sort out your symptoms.
3. My diet is essentially there, but the rest of my life needs to catch up. Do you have any advice? (22:57)
a. Other lifestyle factors that are big to work on are other self-care habits: an epsom salt bath, self-massage, meditation, gentle stretching, getting a mani/pedi - anything that gives you time to care for your amazing body but also gives you some breathing space which ultimately reduces your stress load!
2. From Kate’s emails… she received at least 3 emails in the past month inquiring about the Whole30, and then Ashton in our last question talked about it… so let’s address the topic here too! (24:50)
Rules / Definition for Whole30 from their website:
o EAT meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed.
o AVOID for 30 days: added sugar of any kind, real or artificial; alcohol in any form, even for cooking; no grains; no legumes; no dairy; no carrageenan, MSG or sulfites; do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods or treats* with “approved” ingredients.
o You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program.
3. Hi Ladies! I love the podcast - it’s my favorite way to start a Tuesday! I’m writing because I think I just need a little pep talk. I’ve been sticking with a pretty healthy routine since the beginning of January (go me!) I’ve cleaned up my eating habits more than I ever thought possible and I’m really try to incorporate some other healthy habits, like drinking more water and going to bed at a decent time. The problem is, I’m feeling down about the scale! It hasn’t moved despite all my efforts! I know I’m really improving my health, but it’s just depressing. I have 2 kiddos and I’ve kept a couple lbs with each one and just don’t feel like myself with this extra weight. I have a trip coming up with my husband and I reeeeeeeally want to feel like I’m in beach body shape. It’s been years since I felt good at the beach. Any tips or tricks? Maybe just some words to snap me out of it? Thanks! (37:10)
1. Remember: You’re already beautiful just the way you are!!
2. You’re doing all the right things with the clean eating, sleeping, drinking water...sometimes it’s just continuing these habits over the long haul that will really make the biggest impact, especially when it comes to regulating your hormones! 3. Treat yourself to a swimsuit or coverup for the beach that you LOVE and flatters your current body shape. Joy shared that wearing clothing that makes her excited and feel good about herself greatly improves her mood and self-confidence. And it’s that self-confidence and a smile that are really the most sexy thing! 4. Check out Hilary Rushford at Dean Street Society for some amazing tips on how to dress for your shape and find your personal style. She’s the cutest! 5. Reduce stress! 6. Keep up the positivity and honoring where you are in your journey 7. Kate shared that she recently participated in a Closet Cleanse with From Shelley With Love. You can check her out here.
Thank you for joining us this week for Episode 63. Remember to subscribe in iTunes so you don’t miss a future episode!
Like the show? Leave us a review!
Follow the below link and then click the blue "View on iTunes" button - once you're logged into your iTunes account you can add a review. We greatly appreciate your time and feedback!